How Can the Tax Credit Help My Business?
With the Hiring Incentive Rebate for Employers, Maryland businesses may be able to save up to $5000
by hiring certain employees into new positions.
Which Employees Qualify?
All employees must be Maryland residents hired between March
25, 2010 and December 31, 2010 and meet the following criteria:
- Individuals at the time of hire must be receiving unemployment insurance benefits or have exhausted
their benefits in the previous 12 months and not working full time immediately preceding the date
- Employees must be hired into full-time, newly-created positions, or a full-time position that had been vacant
for at least 6 months.
How Do I Apply?
Employers must receive certification from the Department of Labor, Licensing, and Regulation (DLLR).
filing is available . All applications will be processed on a first-come, first-served basis.
To be eligible, employers must certify that:
- They are conducting or operating a trade or business in Maryland.
- They file a Maryland tax return or are tax-exempt under 501(c) of the Internal Revenue Code.
- The employees for which they are seeking credit meet the qualifying criteria.
- The position for which they are seeking credit is full time, of indefinite duration and will remain filled for
at least 12 months.
- The position for which they are seeking credit is a newly created position or was vacant for a period of at
least 6 months at the time it was filled.
- The position for which they are seeking credit was not created through a change in ownership of a trade or
- The position for which they are seeking credit was not created as a result of an employment function
being contractually shifted from one business entity to another.
- The position for which they are seeking credit did not displace an existing employee.
- If the position for which they are seeking credit was created through a consolidation, merger, or
restructuring, the position is a net new job for the organization in the State of Maryland.
Call 410-767-2996 to speak with a DLLR representative or
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
- Sample Application
(Word document, 262KB, download
Word viewer for free) - The online application will prompt
you to provide most of the information outlined below. This
sample application is for informational purposes only.
Official applications must be completed online.
- Maryland Government
- A Guide to Business Tax Credits (PDF format,
Adobe Acrobat for free)
- View this flyer (PDF format, 227KB,
Adobe Acrobat for free)
- audio only (Computer desktop audio player required)
- full video presentation (Window Media Player 9.0 or better
- Webinar - slide presentation (PDF format, download
Adobe Acrobat for free) or PowerPoint
document, 3.9MB, download
PowerPoint viewer for free)
- Maryland Workforce Exchange (MWE)
here for online filing
Information for job seekers