of law" the Maryland Athlete Agents Act applies
only to a athlete agent contract that a Athlete agent makes with a local athlete:
- before the end of the local athlete's last high school or intercollegiate
athletic event, including any postseason game; or
- within 12 months after the end of the local athlete's last high
school or intercollegiate athletic event, including any postseason game.
"Local athlete" means an individual who:
- is or was a member of a sports team of an institution of higher
education that is in the State and is part of a National
Association for the Regulation of Intercollegiate Athletics; or
- is or was a member of a sports team of a high school in the State.
"Athlete agent" means a person who, for a fee, directly
or indirectly, tries to get employment for a local athlete with a professional sports team.
"Athlete agent contract" means an agreement under which
a local athlete authorizes a Athlete agent to:
- negotiate with 1 or more professional sports teams to employ the local athlete; or
- make and carry out investment and other financial decisions or to provide other financial services.