Download this document
(Word document, 46KB, download Word viewer for free)
Safe work is rewarding work. Your employer has the responsibility
to provide a safe & healthful workplace. Employers must
follow all MOSH/OSHA safety and health standards to prevent
you from being injured or becoming ill on the job. If you
are under age 18, there may be limits on the hours you work,
the jobs you do and the equipment you use. Learn about the
wage and hour child labor laws that apply to you.
You Have Rights at Work
You have the right to:
- Work in a safe place.
- Receive safety and health training in a language that you understand.
- Ask questions if you don't understand instructions or if something seems unsafe.
- Use and be trained on required safety gear, such as hard hats, goggles and ear plugs.
- Exercise your workplace safety rights without retaliation or discrimination.
- File a complaint with MOSH if you believe there is a serious
hazard or that your employer is not following MOSH/OSHA standards.
Your Employer Has Responsibilities
Your employer must:
- Provide a workplace free from recognized hazards and follow all MOSH/OSHA safety and health standards.
- Provide training about workplace hazards and required safety gear.*
- Tell you where to get answers to your safety or health questions.
- Tell you what to do if you get hurt on the job.
*Employers must pay for most types of safety gear.
Ways to Stay Safe on the Job
To help protect yourself, you can:
- Report unsafe conditions to a shift/team leader or supervisor.
- Wear any safety gear required to do your job.
- Follow the safety rules.
- Ask questions.
- Ask for help if needed.
MOSH Can Help! Maryland Occupational Safety and Health
(MOSH) is the agency of the Division of Labor & Industry (DLI) that protects workers from dangers
on the job that can cause injuries or illnesses. Call us on our toll-free number: 1-800-795-6297 or
410-527-2091 to get answers to your questions, or to ask MOSH to inspect your workplace if you think
there is a serious hazard. You can also send us your questions at
To file a complaint visit our How to File a Complaint page for