The Trade Act of 2009 includes additional benefits for Older Workers laid off from employers
with approved petitions. RTAA is a wage supplement that pays up to 50% of the difference to eligible
Trade-affected workers aged 50 or older who obtain new employment that pays less than their Trade-affected employment.
- Must file a TRA claim and receive an eligibility determination from the TRA Unit. To file a TRA claim,
please call 410-767-2534.
- Must be at least 50 years of age at the time of reemployment.
- Must be reemployed full-time as defined by the state or be re-employed part-time (more than 20 hours per
week) and be in full-time TAA approved training.
- Cannot return to employment at the firm from which the worker was separated.
- Cannot earn more than $55,000 in the new employment.
- RTAA pays up to 50% of the difference between the worker's wages at time of qualifying separation and
the worker's wages from new employment.
- RTAA benefits may be paid until the worker has received a total of $12,000 OR the eligibility period has
expired OR until the worker's reemployment income is expected to reach the $55,000 annual limit, whichever
- RTAA participants may be eligible for the Health Coverage Tax Credit (HCTC).
RTAA Eligibility Period:
- Workers who HAVE NOT received TRA HAVE a 2-year period starting at the earlier of:
- The date on which the worker exhausts all right to unemployment insurance based on separation from the
- Workers who HAVE received TRA HAVE a 2-year period beginning with the date of reemployment, reduced by
the number of weeks the worker received TRA.